- Why diffuse? Isn’t it just a nice smell?
Nooooo~! Actually if you pick the right diffuser and use awesome oils, diffusing can bring about so many benefits.It can support your respiratory health, immunity, emotions and the list goes on. Tidbit! Do you know that emotional memories and trauma (eh even getting scolded by Mom when young also can be considered as trauma ok???) can only be released by smell alone? I kid you not.
- Can I use a burner, e.g. the one with a tealight candle?
Please don’t. When using the essential oils, I would highly recommend to use diffusers . Basically you want to look for an ultrasonic diffuser that emits cool mist OR a nebulising diffuser rather than something that can burn and produce carcinogens with heat. After all, you don’t want to compromise the awesomeness of these oils ya?
- Can i mix 2 or more oils together to diffuse?
Ok, this one is a mixed bag of answers. I personally don’t because I think blending needs someone trained in aromatherapy to do it in order to yield the best benefits.However I have seen blending recipes for diffusing at the Young Living Blog and have seen recipes created by YL members too. So I guess my answer to you is “Do you trust the source?” If so, go ahead.
- Why should I pick an ultrasonic diffuser and how does it work?
“Ultrasonic diffusers are typically filled with water and the Essential Oils are then added to the water where they remain on the water’s surface. Most Ultrasonic Diffusers work by using ultrasonic vibrations to agitate the water causing the separation of the water particles and thereby releasing negative ions into the air.These negative ions bond with positively charged free radicals in the air and help to clean your space while adding a small amount of moisture.When using Essential Oils in your Ultrasonic Diffuser, the oil’s particles are dispersed into the air along with the water, leaving your space smelling fresh. This is also how you will benefit from the Essential Oil’s therapeutic properties.”
Source – http://www.theessentiallife.org/theessentialblog/2014/how-does-an-ultrasonic-diffuser-work
- Why should I pick a nebulising diffuser and how does it work?
The nebulising diffuser works by forcing an air current through a narrow micro-tube which increases its velocity. The pressure at the exit point of the narrow micro-tube is subsequently reduced.
Due to the fact that there is no heat involved, the original chemical structure of the essential oils are not altered or destroyed. Therefore, the essential oil molecules are able to be quickly inhaled and absorbed by the human body in their most natural, original state.
Thanks Winnie for putting this explanation together!
Reference – http://organicaromas.com/pages/how-it-works
- How long should I diffuse?
You can usually diffuse as long as you want for most diffusers. I would suggest be conservative.If you want to diffuse non stop until the bottle is empty, try setting at a conservative setting first (low intensity, longer periods in between diffusing). AND DRINK MORE WATER PLEASE.When you inhale the oils, they do start cleansing you from inside and you need water to facilitate the cleansing. That could also help prevent rare but possible reactions like headaches.
- Is it ok to diffuse if I am pregnant / have a baby / young child in the room?
Yes it is generally okay. Diffusing is one of the gentlest ways to introduce oils to a body.Though I would say monitor and watch out for any symptoms too. Anytime you don’t feel comfortable, stop diffusing. Trust your gut instinct and honour your comfort level. ?
- How about diffusing for pets?
Yes it is ok too. But because your pet can’t communicate with you OR you may misread their cues, leave an escape route for them, e.g. leave the door ajar. If they don’t like it, they WILL leave the room.
- Can I diffuse in a room without air-con switched on?
Yes you can. You can also have the fans on, windows closed if you like. If your windows are open, perhaps shift the diffuser away from the window.
- What are some oils that are not ideal for diffusing?
That would be the really thick and goopy oils – Myrrh, Vetiver, Patchouli. They may clog up your diffuser so I would rather apply these topically instead.
- I heard from my friends that the ultrasonic diffusers need to use filtered / distilled / boiled water for diffusing. Is that true?
No. You can directly use the tap water on an ultrasonic diffuser
- How to maintain an ultrasonic diffuser?
- Fill your diffuser about half way with clean water. Make sure you stop well below the max line.
- Add up to 10 drops of pure white vinegar. This will help in removing the oils that are stuck inside the diffuser and on the glass or plastic pieces.
- Let the diffuser run for about 3-5 minutes to allow the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the unit and clean it.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar, clean the tight spots and corners of the diffuser to make sure that no spots are left dirty.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Empty again and you’re good to go.
- Use a dry cloth, or more cotton swabs or cotton balls to wipe the diffuser and dry it thoroughly.
- How to maintain a nebulizing diffuser?
The nebulizing diffusers tend to require higher maintenance than any of our other options. First, putting the essential oil into the glass nebulizer can be a bit tricky. I finally gave in to reality and started using a pipette, after spilling oil while trying to pour from the bottle into the glass orifice. Also, the glass nebulizer (together with the attached silicone tube) needs cleaning occasionally. I suspect I’m not the only one who has let the nebulizer stand with oils in it, allowing them to react with the oxygen in the air and get all thick and “gunky.” The best way to clean them is to add high proof rubbing alcohol (90% works best!) to dissolve the accumulated oils, drain, and air dry.
Also, the nebulizer can not be used with the very thick, viscous oils… benzoin, vetiver, etc. They will totally clog it and won’t diffuse unless blended with other, thinner, essential oils. , Try to use 100% pure essential oil, Never use a carrier oil in the nebulizer, or an essential oil diluted in a carrier. It will ruin the glass nebulizer and void the warranty.
Thanks for your information from Faith Teo